The Hope Chests are twelve precious faerie items made by Oberon himself. The first one was a gift for his wife, Titania. All are made from the four sacred woods of Faerie interlocked, carved with knives of water and air—oak and ash for bracing and balance, rowan and thorn for pattern and protection. It is said there are twelve of them.  In the current time, Countess Evening Winterrose compelled (using a geas) Toby to find the Hope Chest and solve her murder.
- "The stories say there are twelve hope chests, that Oberon made them when mankind was still nothing but an interesting diversion. Some people say the chests hold secrets, or stars, or nothing at all; that the Heart of Faerie is hidden in one and the others are decoys, or that they hold a map that would lead us to our missing King and Queens. Some say the chests hold the keys to the deeper lands of Faerie, the places on the other side of the Summerlands. And behind closed doors, they say the hope chests hold a different sort of key: the key to immortality. That they can change the balance of a changeling’s blood, making them pureblooded . . . or human."
- Evening Winterrose
- Sollys royal family
- False Queen of the Mists (former)
- Arden Windermere
- can shift the balance of the blood passed it along to the first of her half-blood children
- can make a changeling more human or more fae
- Arden Windermere's knowe (formerly in possession of the false Queen of the Mists and Evening)
- Sollys Royal Family
- An almost pleasant tingling burning that wasn’t painful speed through the finger and up the arm as it was held. 
- Any child of Faerie, even a Changeling, would have known what it was.
- It seems to whisper to the person holding it in hand, offering the world—like Pandora's box
- It has a dangerous pull for Changelings.
History / BackgroundEdit
Characters Associated Edit
|Evening Winterrose||Countess of Goldengreen||was murdered, the Hope Chest apparently at the center of it;|
|Tybalt||Cait Sidhe, King of Cats||Toby hides the Hope Chest with him with a sacred promise|
|Arden Windermere||Tuatha de Dannan, current Queen of the Mists||Formerly in False Queen's possession, was surrendered to Arden when her claim as the true heir to the throne was recognised|
|Aethlin Sollys||High King of the Westlands||Was used to pull the humanity out of Queen Maida before she married King Aethlin|
Events in the Series (Spoilers) Edit
Use the book title at the opening of each paragraph as a "Spoiler Warning".
✥ In Rosemary and Rue, Toby found the Hope Chest in a secret place at Third Road Enterprises using the magical key that Evening left for her through an autumn sprite. The Sprite used a Rose Goblin to deliver the key. The key brought her right to it. Toby felt it working on her—a burning sensation—right away. She wrapped it in in plastic and left to find a safe place for it.  Toby entrusted it to Tybalt making him swear a Formal Promise. She could feel it pull on her and knew it had to be kept with a pureblood and the Queen could't touch him. — Toby had it for a few days after it was all over. She felt it had changes her in a smal way. She never touched it. Toby gave the box to the Queen. 
Book References Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Rosemary and Rue, ch. 9
- ↑ Forum post "Hope Chest"
- ↑ Rosemary and Rue, ch. 10
- ↑ Rosemary and Rue, ch. 8
- ↑ Rosemary and Rue, ch. 27
See Also Edit
External References Edit
General Toby Daye Links:
- October Daye series - Urban Fantasy Wiki - Series information page
- Fang-tastic Fiction: Seanan McGuire: OCTOBER DAYE Series - summary of entire series including world-building.
- October Daye Series ~ Shelfari (character lists, setting, glossaries, quotes, etc.)
- Seanan McGuire: The Toby Daye FAQ ~ Author's site
- Seanan McGuire: Fairy Tale Survival FAQ ~ Author's site
- Seanan McGuire's Discussion Board • Index page